When washing your hair you should ensure that your products are balanced with protein and moisture. If the signs are also difficult to determine then I do the wet stretch. It’s a quick and simple way to determine the proper treatment plan for you hair. The results of the Wet Stretch Test are indisputable and very clearly demonstrates what products you need to achieve and maintain healthy hair, and why.
How to do it:
1. Separate about 10 strands of wet hair. For best results, make sure the hair is well saturated
2. Hold hair firmly between both hands.
3. Gently but firmly pull the section of hair away from your head. Ensure you pull with enough tension to assess if the hair strands stretch. Observe how the hair stretches and returns. Analyze and compare with the results below.
4. Repeat this with tiny sections from different areas of the head.
- hair should stretch around 30% of its length and then returns healthy, like an elastic band, showing no signs of damage.
- Needs Protein
- Hair stretches but doesn’t return to its previous lengt.
- Needs Moisture
- Hair doesn’t stretch.
- Needs Protein and Moisture
- Hair which stretches and breaks is low in protein and moisture.
Using the correct products will help protect your hair from the daily damage it gets. It will also help in keeping your hair healthy as it grows.
If your hair does not respond as normal, then your first step is to clarify your hair. When you find out what my hair is missing e.g protein, start with a deep conditioner that contains protein. If that makes no difference then switch to a strengthening treatment like a gelatin treatment. Always follow up with a moisturising deep conditioner, after a strengthening treatment, to get the right balance back.
Doing this often helps you begin to learn how your hair behaves on a regular basis. When your hair begins to behave differently, you will automatically pick up on it as you know what is ‘out of the ordinary’ for your hair.
Choosing That Good Hair Custom Cleanser and Conditioner
can allow you to choose whether you need moisture or protein in your hair products.